Security incident at Nissan Oceania

Nissan Oceania will contact around 100,000 people in Australia and New Zealand whose data was stolen in an attack on their systems in December 2023, possibly by the Akira ransomware gang. Up to 10% of the victims had some form of government ID compromised, including 4,000 Medicare cards and 7,500 driving licences. The remaining 90% had other information affected, such as loan or employment details.

Some of those affected were customers of financial services operated by Nissan for rival manufacturers. Nissan apologised and pledged to inform those affected and offer support. In Australia, free credit monitoring is being offered for 12 months through Equifax, and in New Zealand, through Centrix. Those affected will also have access to IDCARE services and will be able to claim reimbursement of the cost of replacing identification documents from Nissan Oceania.